Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Kigali Day 1: Dazed and Confused

I arrived in Kigali around 2:30am, and my three new housemates came to pick me and my tons of luggage up. It was so nice to have people waiting for me and welcoming me into the new place. I was pretty wiped out, though, so I'm unsure if I said anything that could have been rambling or incriminating.

Just in case you were wondering, at the moment Rwanda smells like fresh dust, newly-picked potatoes, and grass.

I got settled into the house - it's nice. The puppy is really cute and a bit scrawny, which of course means he was even cuter. I have a large learning curve, I discovered, and I didn't get to bed until about 4am, after unpacking a bit and winding down.

And of course, now that my biological clock is really off, I slept for about 5 hours and woke up to a bright, sunny, hot day in Kigali. It was a slow morning, and we mainly chatted and I learned a bit more about the house rules and set-up. Apparently, there's talk of my housemates finding a new house that's not next to the street, and bars. They might try to get a new place by as early as the end of the month! That was a surprise to me...and so I guess I might be moving again soon - either with them or alone. It is a bit disappointing, but hey! If the place is even better and around the same price, then it's all good with me.

I had a delicious banana & peanut butter smoothie for breakfast, and I made a concoction for lunch of rice cakes, lentils, and tomatoes. I've yet to get cash/money, and I have a feeling I'll be getting a lot of stuff for myself this weekend.

I'm at work now. Because that's how I roll. I started work around 2pm today - about 12 hours after my arrival. I'm a bit loopy, I think. Am I rambling here? My thoughts are a bit scrambled...

The campus is petite, but very lovely. There's a garden nearby, and the campus is outdoors, with white walls. The classrooms have lots of desks. It seems that our white board is actually a piece of plywood painted white. Curious. I think I'll become a creative teacher, somehow...

I'm a bit stressed already about working. There's a lot of stuff I have to do before Thursday - when classes start. And some things will probably change. I was told that it's all overwhelming right now because I am jet lagged. And on that note, I'll stop rambling for a bit and prepare to go back to wherever it is I'm going after work.

No comments: