Friday, January 06, 2012

A Thought on Names

I don't know how my students are able to remember their names! They are so incredibly long and complicated. One's surname is Nyirahagenimana. How do you even pronounce that?! And that's not even an exception! Some of them keep going, and I end up saying something ridiculous like, "Manah Manah" OR "Uga-chaka?"! I don't think names will be something I will master here. They are just so strange to me.

Just letting you know for now - I'm on fire with getting next week's classes ready! Well, at least for now. I have 67% of my classes ready to go. The only class not ready yet is Math. And since we just took an exam yesterday, as you know, I had to go through everyone's test and make sure I knew what level people were at. It truly is a mixed bag. Enough students don't understand most math problems that I will be teaching pretty basic stuff, methinks. I just feel bad for the students who aced the test.

If anyone has good ideas or helpful thoughts about that kind of conundrum, I'm all ears.


1 comment:

Eliana said...

How about giving some of the more advanced students more challenging work individually? This is of course if they event want to ?