Tuesday, February 07, 2012

About Mayonnaise

I feel that this deserves a special recognition on my blog. I know I've mentioned it before, but I don't really feel like I touched on just how prevalent this subject is to the very core of what seems to be the nutritional values of this culture.

In the US, I feel that the staple food for people depends on where you from. For my family, it was butter. For me, it's olive oil. For a lot of people, maybe it's ketchup.

Here in Rwanda, it's mayonnaise. Mayonnaise everything.

Mayonnaise here is the key ingredient in what seems like a very large amount of meals provided here. You put mayonnaise on your french fries (aka chips). You put mayonnaise on your sandwiches. In your salads. On pasta. You name the dish, I'm sure people here have managed to put mayonnaise on it somehow.

And the sad thing is....it's so tasty! Sandwiches are juicy with mayonnaise. Salads have the fattening desire that satisfies your palate.

Mayonnaise comes here in large containers. And low fat mayonnaise seems like a downgrade to the real thing.

I don't know if I'm grateful or mournful for this new add-on to my diet...

No comments: