Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Midterms Week

On Sunday I totally rocked.

I woke up, chatted with The Man for a nice while, practiced some yoga, baked some bread, read some, and wrote some of my plans.

The Man and I have been talking about the future. Who knows what's going to happen in the future?! I know, I know...it's silly to think we can plan it all. But regardless, we are planning. I am excited with the glorious future I could have with him. It could be very difficult, but we're talking about ideas, plans, travels, and all kinds of wonderful thoughts.


I don't know why I ever stop practicing yoga, ever. Every time I get back into the yoga, I'm a bit stiff and a bit atrophied, but it feels awesome. The sweat is detoxifying. The breathing brings me back to myself. I feel the muscles creak and moan, and I love reactivating parts of me that go dormant after a long week or day of stress, exhaustion, and hard work. I really need to get back into it more frequently - it could be my godsend.



The bread is a relief! I've been sadly gnawing on breads filled with gluten here in Rwanda. That's one thing I do miss about the US right now - being gluten intolerant, or a Celiac (for all intents and purposes), is so much easier in the developed world, where they have supermarkets just for the weak of GI tract. I kind of feel doomed whenever I go out to eat, knowing full well I'll probably have discomfort and pain for the next day or two. My gluten digestive pills help a bit, but it only makes me feel like I've eaten something a day too old. But I found a recipe online for rice bread! Fortunately, rice flour is ample here in the markets, and all of the ingredients are simple and accessible here, as well! Filipino rice bread, it was called.

Aside from the fact that the recipe itself wasn't great (Denise had to help me make it look more like dough by pouring a cup or so of milk in it...), and the fact that I almost blew up our house because the electric stove took over an hour to turn on (I've never used one of those things before!), the bread actually came out tasting nicely. It's a bit cakey and crumbly, like most gluten-free breads, and a bit on the sweet side. I excitedly toted my homemade sandwiches to work this week so far, thinking proudly about how I no longer had to use rice cakes to to the trick. I even got to read my book while I cooked!

And it's been midterms week here at school. That means, I have a bit over 160 tests to grade this week, all with EFL students....And all just a bit creatively answered. I've been barreling through my grading yesterday, last night, and all today. I am going to go square-eyed. I feel like midterm week is just as stressful for the teachers as it is for the students. I am a bit sniffly right now because I've been running around dogged to make sure I get everything done in time.

One of my American friends in Rwanda wrote a kvetching blog post and I have to just say, "Ditto". I highly recommend you read it, if you're interested more in little things here and there, because I totally relate to her notes and thoughts. While she lives a bit out of town compared to me, every part about Kigali is still relevant to me.

No comments: