Tuesday, February 07, 2012

House Cleaning Bits

So, it's been a while since I last blogged.

What have I been doing??

Meh, stuff.

I know, I know. What?! No fascinating details? Really?

Well, I could give you a list of what I did the last few days. And I shall.

  • Thursday I had a meeting at the wonderfully tasty and overpriced cafe, Bourbon Coffee. I talked with a guy about a very interesting gig he has doing marketing in Rwanda. I love learning about how similarly (and differently) things run in the US and elsewhere. Moral of the meeting: Rwandans want their companies to be as shiny and streamlined as US companies. Note well taken.
  • Friday, after a frustrating day at work, I had a great heart-to-heart with my colleagues. It seems that I have more support here than I had thought.
  • Friday evening my roommates and I went to The Indian Chef for some real Indian food. Since two of my roommates are Indian, it only seemed appropriate. One of my roommates, whom I will from here on out call The Mobster, looked at the bill and tsked tsked tsked. He dialed a number, and mumbled something in a foreign tongue, and all of a sudden a new bill shows up with a lower price. I guess he's super duper well-connected here in Kigali, and he knows the right people. Do you see why I find the nickname apt?
  • Saturday I had a great brainstorming with the roommates. A lot of great ideas are on the horizon - I can feel it!
  • I got totally sun FRIED at the poolside at the fancy (and over-indulged) hotel, The Manor. The poolside was nice, and I got to enjoy company with some wonderful folks. I left early (nice and crispy) to hang out with my new friend, Kiran, while she worked on selling all of her earthly possessions. We had a great time chatting. And I happily partook in the purchasing of stuff that is expensive around here, like Toothpaste! It's the simple things in life...
  • Saturday night Kiran joined us for a while, and we drank some beautiful dessert wine from South Africa. And MM MM MM! was it tasty! The Mobster made us biryani rice, which made me shriek a bit at the immense spiciness of the dish. I poured yoghurt on my rice, promptly.
  • Sunday was lazy. I napped for a long while, after Denise and I went for a nice light jog. It was a very nice nap. And I had a nice long Skype chat with The Man.
Today I had an unfortunate day at work, and let's just leave it at that. And we got home without drinkable water. I hope our guard is willing (and able) to get us some bottles of water.

And that's about that!

No comments: