Thursday, June 04, 2015

The Traditional Aussie Winter Outfit

The weather in Brisbane has been cooling off pretty quickly; instead of being in constant summer mode, it feels more like fall and optimal accessories include scarves and hoodies. Given that it is now technically winter time, I’ll take it! Yes, I am bundled up in a layer of blankets in my room often, but the fact that I can be sitting outside without an icicle tear rolling down frostbitten cheeks (NY I’m looking at you) makes my year.

Folks here are not as pleased as I am with winter weather – to most, this is very cold! And they have what I consider a strange yet popular tradition to fight off the chill.

The onesie.

Here I thought that onesies were something only children wore, but there are stores solely dedicated to providing populations young andold all kinds of onesies for their warming pleasure. You want a classic onesie with a badge of class on the chest? You’ve got it. You want to have fun and dress as a penguin in this Time of the Onesie? Why not?! (Though most people who wear animal-inspired onesies don’t appear to be furries, I am sure there’s a parallel subculture going on somewhere.) All onesies appear to have the essential rear flap so you can protect your body from the chills while relieving yourself in my favorite room of the house (the bathroom). Your face and adorable rear end are the only parts of your body that must endure the cool touches of that porcelain ice queen.

Have I mentioned that the daily low is usually 9C/49F?

I’ve seen some people wear the onesies out in public without much else on. Much to my concern.

I have not tried on these onesies, so I cannot fully judge this cultural tradition. I’m sure it’s very cozy for those that have them. To me, however, it seems bizarre and I know I’d feel trapped inside these contraptions.  

One of the neat trends I get to see here, though, is funhair styles. Aussies in general appear more accepting and willing to dye their hair fun colors, spanning most (if not all) demographics.

Women (though there are some guys who partake) get their hair dyed beautiful shades of lavender and lilac, and others enjoy bolder colors like bright red or a royal blue. I’ve even seen women strolling around with a rainbow mosaic for hair.

 Sometimes in the US, I feel like that fashion trend only really occurs in certain tribes, like goth or punk…but here, I’ve seen women who look like they sip martinis at fancy restaurants after working at their banker job with some pretty stellar coif color.

It really brightens my eyes while I people watch on my walks through the city.

You must be thinking, Kim don’t you have more news about interesting and exciting happenings in your life while you gallivant through Brisbane? Nope, not really. Brisbane is a pretty low-key, sleepy city, and most excitement I’ve seen and read is about when people get really good meals at fancy restaurants I cannot afford on a poor student budget. I walk around a lot, and my friends from the water program and I hang out. Sometimes I stay home and relax, sometimes I go for a long walk around the central area in hopes of finding adventure.


I’m just thinking about toilets and my budding career in sanitation most of the time. I’m thinking about working on a big project around combining financial literacy education with helping people get access to toilets in developing countries. Or perhaps figuring out what a toilet business school would look like, should I build one. Want me to share more of my thoughts on water and sanitation? Let me know.

No comments: