Thursday, July 09, 2009

Enter Delhi, Stage Left

So a few nights ago I arrived in Delhi, India! Here I am, working on a research project, for our NYUWagner Water Capstone project. We have come here to work on a program evaluation for an NGO in the state of Orissa called Gram Vikas. Four grad students who do not have a clue what their project really entails exploring the most obscure areas of India. And here we are.

I waited at the Newark Airport for a little bit of time. I went into the President's Club to chill out for a little bit, but I quickly realized that I didn't belong. People dressed in nice yacht get-ups, drinking wine in an airport lounge....and here I am, with a backpack still covered in Guatemalan dust and ratty old jeans ready to hop into the wilderness of India. I picked up some free food, sat for a quick second, and went to the line.
A note on the line for the plane: population control, people. They had to create an entire line devoted to the young children on he flight, and it was a long line. Most of the mothers had about 3+ children hugging their thighs. That was my brief first encounter with the Indian family way.
I had a 15-hour nonstop flight. It was a long time in the plane, but luckily dad got me a business class seat for the flight, so it was at least comfortable. I cannot believe how much food they feed you in the long-haul flights, sheesh.
I sat next to a sweet 77 year-old Kashmiri lady on the flight. We talked a bit about India, especially Kashmir. She was very lovely, and liked talking a lot.
I watched "He's Just Not That Into You", which was alright for a chick flick. I also watched "Madame Irma" (a french film about a transvestite fortune teller - only in french film...) and "Paris Je T'aime". And I slept a bit. And ate a lot.

My flight came in early and breezed through security, customs, and health check-in. My baggage was priority. I had to wait for Maulin and Molly at the Delhi Airport for a few hours. It was a quite long wait for me, considering the long flight and the lack of things to do in the airport here. No worries, though, a man from Rajastan came over to have a conversation with me. We talked about our professions, his wife, why I didn't have a husband, my travels in India, his travels in Europe, and of course the conversation ended with an open invitation to his place in Rajastan if I ever happen to be in his state. He also implied to me that if he wasn't (newly) married, then I would be in trouble. And so it begins...

Finally Maulin came and I had company. But Molly took a long time to get through because KLM lost her baggage. She has it now, but it took a few days.
The carrides here are ridiculously scary. You feel like you are always on the verge of getting hit by some other vehicles. But as Maulin said, "Just close your eyes and hope for the best." Wise words.

India is a country of extremes, it seems. Extreme poverty. Extreme luxury. Extreme gender dichotomies. And extreme beauty.

We get into the hotel to find we were given the top floor suites, NOT BAD! And the air conditioning is great. However, we slept only a little.

No comments: