Sunday, April 08, 2007

Quicky


Aimee's trip here was all over the place. I was either in class, or we were with my friends romping around the city.
Wednesday, after Aimee and I went for a light jog, I stayed inside all day. All. Day. Working on my opera project. Lots of research happened. It was rough.
Now, the problem on Wednesday was Brandon's comings and goings. He can't move into his apartment until 2 weeks from now, so I agreed that he could crash at my place. By 2am I said to myself, "Ok, he's not going to come home tonight. I'm going to bed." How wrong was I. 5:30am rolls by and I hear my doorbell being rung, but a drunk Brandon. Oh, the rage...

Thursday was when I had my opera exposé (in english). So, I finished it late during the day, and went off to class. Nobody told me, however, that there was a big election presentation going on at school for the day. The street was barracaded, cops everywhere, checking student IDs (thankfully I had mine on me)...
And there were only 5 kids that made it to my opera class. Which made it easier to present and keep the oral exposé a lot less stressful. The only problem we had was that the presidential candidates were leaving the school during our class, for the whole 2 hours, and so there was this mass of angry students half-rioting-half-shouting outside of our window. We could barely hear the professors. It was pretty amusing, and they had some pretty good chants going on. I tried to be loud for my presentation. I think it went alright?
After my French class, I went back home to hang out with Aimee. We both felt a little low, so we stayed in for the night, and I made dinner. Then Pierre came over with Inès (his sister, who's delightful, by the way) later on in the night, and we enjoyed some conversation, joking, and made fun of the terrible version of American Idol here, Nouvelle Star. Simply sad. Aimee relished in the show, while the rest of us were just groaning in pain.

Friday, after a slightly lowkey marketing class, Paz and I brought our visitors to a café for lunch, at Café Jade. We waited nearly 45 minutes for Lorena, Alex, and Liisa to come by and join us for lunch. Starving. Pretty good food, but French service. Then Brandon and Peter+1 joined us and we got amazing gelato at this little place nearby that lets you choose however many flavors you want and then shapes the gelati into the shape of a tulip on a cone. And it was good.
After overeating, we crashed on the grass in the Jardin du Luxembourg with the rest of Paris, and planned our night out. And after much arguing and spite, I left early for a run. A run that dehydrated me and kind of put me in this funky state for the rest of the evening.
We got reservations at Refuge des Fondue in Montmartre. Wine in baby bottles. Fondue with unlimited bread. And cheap. It was a fun night. Peter and I ended up being the only completely sober kids at the table in this tiny restaurant and watched everyone else giggle and say ridiculously hilarious things.
Afterwards we climbed the 10 million flights of stairs to the Sacre Coeur and watched the Eiffel sparkle. And then we climbed back down. And walked to Pigalle....now, for those of you that don't know this area of Paris, let me explain to you why: it's one giant orgy. Seriously. There's this massive store called Sexodrome; the moulin rouge is there; there are strip shows every block. The Museum of Eroticism (because there is one) is there, too. As Pierre would say, quite an ethnographic experience. I can't believe we agreed to go there.

Yesterday Aimee and I went to the Palais de Tokyo and ate lunch there at the café (excellent, by the way). Then we came back because I had to start cooking for dinner. Dinner parties, every Saturday, chez Kim. And I messed it up LIKE IT WAS MY JOB yesterday. Undercooked chicken, overcooked brownies. I am mortified.

Now, I just came back from a jog, and need to pack for Italy, so please excuse me while I stop rambling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh Pigalle. The beauty of the place, unsurpassed, the hookers, some of the most accomplished in the world. And the sex shops! The sex shops! Magnifique!

Needless to say, you no doubt set up shop as soon as you got into Paris, and are now raking in a princely sum of at least 5 centimes a day! well done, whoresome!

La salope