Monday, March 20, 2006

Saturday Night

.....it's REALLY long because it was a pretty interesting night, and I want to be able to recall everything that happened.

So, Eliana, Denysha & I met up at Oxford Circus to grab a cup of tea before we went out for the night. Eliana had a falling out with a guy she was dating, and so they were both pretty upset about it all. Then I got a call from that Turk guy I know, Oz, because he was goin to meet up with us at Oxford and bring us out with his friends. So we met him, and started walking to the club, which wasn't very nearby but that's OK because it was nicer out.
We end up at this little place in Soho or Leicester Square, I'm not really sure which....to this aussie pub called WalkAbout. We got in early, so it was free, which was nice. This place was cool; it looked like the inside of some really old courtyard, kinda intentionally run down sports bar. They're still celebrating St.Patrick's Day, so there was a lot of drunken Irishness going around. That's cool.
We kinda waited in an awkward silence for a while until Oz's 2 friends met up with us. Mike (Oz's flatmate) and Lawrence. Cute. Nice. British. They were great, we hit it off with them at the beginning. Oz got us a few drinks, so life was neat.
For a while, us 3 were the only guys in the pub. Definitely could feel some focus on us.
I realize in the middle of talking to eliana, that there's a man behind her staring at me. I look at him, and he starts beckoning me to come over. Note: this guy must have been in his 30s, WAY TOO OLD! So I just look at him, laugh and look away. It was silly. But, 15 minutes later, he's still staring at me. I look at him incredulously, he's a little more persistent for me to come over there (why he didn't come over? I don't know). I shook my head, and looked away. Thinking that it was done, I went behind eliana to put my glass down on a table, and the guy grabs my wrist and yanks me over to him. As the girls start yelling for me, this guy says nothing and just kind of has me in this grip. weird. I look at him, say "what?......no." He let go, gives up. Awkward.
So we're all talking again, at first his friends are a little shy and are talking to themselves on the side. Oz is talking to us. He's kind of a touchy feely guy anyways, so he's always putting his arm or hand on me. Ok, I can deal with that, but I'm NOT sending signals, particularly because I'm not interested. I'm a little peeved, because I feel I've been pegged as "his", which I'm NOT. But then he's talking to Eliana who's sitting, and he starts playing with my hair lightly with his hands. That's when the big Stop Sign flares up. I try to move away a bit. So he starts talking to Eliana more, who's still a bit upset, and he puts his hand on her leg, and she kind of gives him this look. Good, good.
I took the initiative to talk to his friends more. They are quite the enthusiastic guys! Mike's in post-production, and Lawrence just quit his job at some agency because it, "was wank." Oz is still talking to the girls. I get kind of between these 2 and we're talking about music; what I listen to that's British, what they listen to that's American. Also, the geography of the US. I don't know why, but every European/etc. we meet always asks us about that. And I got into this intense conversation about media's role in society with Mike. Totally not pub talk, but I enjoyed it nevertheless.
Now the music turns up more, DJ starts mixing, and the lights turn dimmer. Dance party?
So we're having fun dancing, these guys are hilarious. We're all talking still. Us girls are getting into the music. Ok, so now we're all flirting. Everywhere. More people with Oz, but we're kinda focussing on these 2 guys. A few hours go by, we're all flirting, all having fun. The girls made me give my mobile to them both and get their numbers. We want to hang out later.
Something interesting about European guys I've noticed, when you're at a club, they talk really close to you. I know they have smaller personal spaces anyways, but they'll talk right into your ear, and they do that to each other, too.
Ok, so now the floor's spinning a little bit. And Denysha&Eliana wanna hit it home because they wanna finish settlin things with this random guy I don't know. OK, but I'll stay for a while longer.
So, Lawrence left for a little bit to get a drink or something. Mike and I are talking, we're flirting, and we're dancing kind of close. A bit touchy. The kind of situation where I was totally expecting something more. I mean, we were close to....but Oz came over, started putting his arms around me, and I was dancing away from him kind of. Then Mike left a little bit after Lawrence came back, and we're all talking, dancing. They're best friends, they were drunk, they're British, so they were hugging each other. But they're straight, they're so straight. Interesting. Lawrence starts talking to me more, he's not much into dancing I guess. But we're flirting, he asks if I'll really call, and I repsond of course! why wouldn't I? So he says he wants to go to lunch, dinner, whatever. I'm laughing, thinking OK I'm 100% for that! and we're close now, too. Mike came back for a little bit, but then he left and went off to make out with some random woman in the crowd. Whatever.
So, Lawrence and I are having fun, but then Oz comes over AGAIN! He really has a knack for that. He starts putting his hand on my back, playing with my hair again, and then rubbing my neck. Alright, I'm thinking, this has got to stop, so I'm trying to squirm a little bit, but I'm kind of stuck. It's WEIRD. And Oz starts talking to Lawrence. (I can't hear anything, so I don't know what was being said) Lawrence starts blushing a little bit? What's going on? Oz is trying to tell me, but I: 1) can't hear a thing and 2) can't understand his accent for the life of me. So he gives up, tells Lawrence to tell me. All I heard from Lawrence was, "he......sex....with you.....think he's lying." WHAT?! WHAT?! That's what I said. He kept trying to tell me, but I couldn't hear it all, and I said, "Did you just say you're gonna have sex with someone, but you think Oz's lying?" He told me to forget it, after I pleaded for a while, but he wouldn't say. Now I'm kinda confused.
Oz comes back over. Lawrence leaves! It is clear to me that Oz has just "cockblocked" me twice! And I'm NOT happy about that. So Oz is dancing with me. I'm upset. Mike's making out with some lady. Lawrence is alone in the crowd dancing......too much for me. I tell Oz I'm leaving. Oz: Ok, so I'll walk you to the door. Kim: No, no no no no, stay here and dance. I can walk out alone. (note: my plan was to go and find Lawrence, kiss him or something, then leave.) But Oz is persisting that he bring me out. And he grabs my wrist and leads me out to the exit. Thanks. Thanks, Oz. I leave in a moderately buzzed huff.
As soon as I'm out of the pub, without Oz, I call up Lawrence's number to leave a message, "Hey Lawrence, it's Kim, Oz's friend from WalkAbout. I'm sorry I couldn't say bye to you before I headed out, Oz kinda pushed me along without saying goodnight. But here is my mobile, landline, and email address. Let me know if you wanna get together sometime. Night!" I left something similar on Mike's mobile, only instead of "Oz", I said, "You were making out with someone, and I didn't want to disturb you."
And I walk home talking to Craig on the phone.
I wake up in the morning, and find a text message on my mobile. From Lawrence, "I'm hoping this is your number. If it is, give me a call anytime you feel 2 hang out. nice 1. lawrence x." Yeeeeeeeeeeeeees. I wrote back to him, saying if he wants to get together today in the park, I'd be there reading. Let's see where this goes, eh?
Either way, though, I just made 2 friends.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh trampolina...how do you get yourself into these random situations?? hahaha....WHORE!!!

xxx

A

Anonymous said...

Kim
At the risk of sounding stupid, what does "cockblocked" mean? Sounds nasty, but sometimes British slang is like that! Just curious.

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Cockblock = the prevention of a guy's attempt to score with a member of the same/opposite sex. Action usually instigated by caring friend

Usage:

'The turkish man was cockblocked by Kim's jealous friend Andy when he attempted to invite Kim into his bed for a sexparty'