Monday, May 15, 2006

Andy Was Here...Now I'm Alone

While Andy was here, I actually met British people I liked! It's so sad that the last 2 weeks of class I meet mutual friends that are good people that I would want to make a true effort in keeping communication with while in the states. And they were all very smart AND socially capable, so the conversation was always flowing with ease! IT WAS SO NICE! But now...alas, c'est la vie...

He came pretty jetlagged, so we basically called it a....day when he got here. We got lunch at Tito's, made him go to Tesco's for groceries, napped for a few hours, and then I cooked him dinner while studying (he was just chilling). His friend, Nicola (spelling?), from an Oxford chorus, called at night. We met her at her flat on Bond Street, had some tea, talked for a few hours, and I made him walk all the way back (a few miles, middle of the night, but I loved it).
Andy is a skytzophrenic. He slides in between a British/American accent, depending on who he talks to. NUTS! I will admit, however, that I was also guilty of similar issues all weekend.

Friday, I made him go to the gym (YMCA). He left early for a date (it WAS a date!) while I finished up at the gym. Then I went home to study some more. When Andy came back, he threw a slight tangent, and let me know we were eating dinner with one of his other Oxford (straight) friends, Adam.
Let me just say for the record that Adam was very cute, Scottish, well dressed, smart, and funny. We had wonderful banter all night. And conversations. Great guy. Too bad I'm leaving in a week!
Adam met us at my flat, and we talked for a while in the living room. Andy, having plans with some gay guys to go clubbing or whatnot, wanted to go out and eat, so we walked around to find a quiet place to eat that would cater to someone who is gluten free and allergic to most fish (yeah, that's Adam). After walking a very large circle around the City of London, we settled for the Bleeding Heart Tavern. A British tavern owned by a group of French men with a French chef. Needless to say, the food was brilliant. I had some pig/black pudding dish. The chocolate mousse was scrumptuous. And the conversation was one of the better conversations I've had while in the UK.
To Andy's dismay, we talkd for too long, so his gay friends went home. So, we went for another walk around SoHo, Covent Garden. Long walk, long talk, I loved it. But Adam had to catch the last tube to whereever he lives, so we called it a night.
But no, it was not the end of the night. Julia decided to eat lots of pasta before getting completely wasted while mixing drinks, so we walked into the flat to find out she had not only been sick in the bathroom for a few hours, but she had mostly missed the toilet. Yes, people, the bathroom looked like spaghetti. And she had decided to go to the bed one time to sleep, but didn't make it back to the bathroom. Lovely. Andy and I, being completely disgusted, used the basement toilet to get ready for bed.

Saturday, Andy and I headed for Oxford. We first met one of his NYU friends at Victoria Station for lunch(she's from Chambers this semester...so I'll be seeing her more often). That was nice.
A 2-hour ride to Oxford. Andy's close friend, Fabio (yes, he's from Italy), met up with us at the train station and brought Andy and his luggage to his flat that him and his boyfriend, Alex (from Germany), share. The place was soooo cute, and they're a very adorable couple. Alex and I talked about middle eastern studies and politics while the other 2 prepped for an Oxford outing.
Andy and Fabio had me do the 2-hour walking tour of Oxford University in about 45 minutes. I was impressed. And it was a definite plus to be with Oxford students/alumn, because their student cards let us have access to ALL of the MANY places that tourists typically cannot enter ever. I was feeling mighty cool.
I saw a LOT of old buildings. Very pretty, Andy took pictures for me. And I also ate at Ben's Cookies (A MUST! AMAZING! so gooey, and chocolatey) with them. We walked around some beautiful gardens and really stunning areas. And the conversation was always entertaining and intelligent. Well, except for the fact that Andy can't get through 20 minutes without some crude remark.
Cream tea was wonderful, the scones were to die for (and the jam!). We mosied about for a little while longer, got caught in a rainstorm, and then headed back to the flat. Fabio had made homemade lasagna, and I felt sooo spoiled. A wonderful dinner, wonderful company. I haven't been so happy in England before! We talked a bit after dinner, ate some fruit, then I caught the 10:45bus back to London.
A woman (and her dog) sat opposite me in the bus. We had a wonderful conversation. She was an old secondary school teacher, and we talked about foreign exchanges, the differences in cultures nationally and internationally....women's roles in Muslim societies....really, 2 hours of using my brain, FOR ONCE!!! People to actually talk intelligently to! It was a great day.
Getting home sucked, but otherwise, I was feeling accomplished, encouraged, and reaffirmed into human society.

Now, I study for 3 finals. Happy Mother's Day (US only), Mom. I'm going to continue to freak out, now...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well OBVIOUSLY I couldn't turn off the crudeness, otherwise the world would come to an end! gasps! ;)

And I'm obviously glad to hear that Oxford clearly rocked so much harder than Cambridge mwhahahaha

x

Slut

Anonymous said...

And don't worry, Mrs. Whorsham

(I'm not actually sure how to spell Kim's last name anymore since I've called her Whoresome so many times...)

Your delicate flower (aka plant genitalia)'s virtue was safe with me hahahah No seriously! lol

xx

Slut