Friday, April 21, 2006

Madrid, Spain (& Toledo)

I landed in Madrid, realizing that, much like Germany, I didn't know the language. Well, I know enough words to say "I'm sorrry" and "I don't speak Spanish", and a few assorted items that helps me get by....but I was translator-less. It's OK, I'll just mime it the whole time. Right.

When I got in, I got a little bit lost trying to find Cassie's flat, near Estudio Santiago Bernabeu, but I got there in time for dinner with her and her flatmates (Elana & Howard), and to watch Freaks&Geeks! Good show. Damn.

Sunday (HAPPY EASTER!), Cassie and I hit a British/Anglican church for Easter service. I know, right? In Spain? Go figure. Anyways, we got there late and was placed in a large pack with people. The sermon was very well done, by a man who looked just like Santa Claus. I'll spare you the details, but I was interested the whole time.
After Sunday breakfast -- Cassie made us pancakes! -- I decided to start on a voyage to the downtown part of Madrid. I wasn't really expecting anything to be open, being a Catholic country and everything, but it seemed almost as if they didn't know it was a holiday. I first went to the Parque del Buen Retiro (think Central Park). It was completely infested with people! Granted the weather there was gorgeous, but I wasn't expecting to get caught in a mass of people in a PARK! People were selling stuff on the sidewalks, and some even dressed as Disney characters. Nuts. But I enjoyed walking about the park. It was so peaceful in the more wooded & maze-like areas.
I stumbled, somehow, to the Museo del Prado, and concluded that I might as well go in now due to the "Free Sunday!" signs. It holds mostly Spanish art from 1500-1800. Everything was religious. Everything. I whizzed through it pretty quickly, because there are only so many times I can appreciate Jesus being crucified. But I did find one of my favorite paintings, by Bosch (The Garden of Earthly Delights). How pleasantly surprising.
I somehow ended up in the Puerta del Sol, which is one of the main shopping/eating/eventful spots in Madrid. Lots of people. RUN AWAY! So I ended up in Hotel Preciados' restaurant for hot chocolate and a meriandos (which is basically a common Spanish snack) while I chilled out and read. Just to let you know, the hot chocolates in Madrid are absolutely phenomenal! Sooooo thick. Soooo creamy. Soooo chocolatey. I'll never be the same.
Took the Metro back to Cassie's place. The Madrid Metro is very very clean and new. That was something I was happy about.

On Monday, I went to a nearby gym to FINALLY work out. Note: Don't speak Spanish. So somehow they (I'm assuming) concluded that I was a tourist (true) from the hotel nextdoor (false). Whatever, I got a free 3-day pass to this nice gym. SWEET!
Though it was raining, I started off my adventures by going to the Palacios Reales (the Royal Castle). It was big, impressive. Gawdy. And grand. And royal. The rooms were somewhat awesome, and I gawked at one room completely done up in velvet (walls, too!) and black statues. Wow.
I meandered over to the Plaza Mayor, which is basically this big closed off square with restaurants and novelty shops lining it. Walking, walking, walking.
I was trying to find the modern art museum, and apparently looked confused while looking at the map, because some Spanish old man came up to me and started talkin to me in Spanish, saying, "Prado? Prado?" No, no Prado. Thanks. He kept talking about God knows what. I just kept saying "No comprendo. Lo siento." Then I said "Soy d'Americana?" And he kept babbling, and I said, "Reina Sofia?" Ah, yes, that's it. He pointed and apparently was giving me directions to it, though I didn't get all of it. Thanks?
At the Reina Sofia, I went through all of the exhibits. It was great! Dali was there, and I discovered some art that I really liked by other Spanish artists. And the special exhibits were wonderful. Really weird art, really interesting art, art that makes you really creeped out. I loved it. And I discovered one of my new favorite artisits: Adolfo Schlosser! He takes rocks, trees, leaves, plants, strings....all nature things, and makes them into these beautiful and intriguing shapes. Soooo good!

Tuesday, I decided to go to Toledo (former Spanish capital). Please remember I don't speak Spanish, and I'm on my own. So, when I tried to by train tickets for Toledo, they made the times for me. I had about 7 hours to do EVERYTHING in Toledo, a city I don't know at all. So, I got lost as soon as I got off of the shuttle to the town. It's okay, I bought a map. I started off at the old residence, Alcazar, but it was closed for renovation. Check. Then I stopped and got some lunch, a paella dish with seafood? I don't know, it was overpriced, though.
Toledo is very compact, in the sense that everything is smooshed together. And every building is connected to another building. So it was easy to get turned around.
I hit up the infamous Cathedral. My lord, I thought that Birnau was impressivly overdone, but it was a mere cloud compared to this place. Massive, I say! MASSIVE! Bulky columns littering the sides. Chapels completely detailed on every square foot. The ceiling was big. There were courtyards attached to the thing. The cathedral had so much going on! And the actual center of the place..........was......ridiculous. Gold outlining each brick. A gargantuan gold decorative background. I can't attempt how to explain it, again. Let's just say, I was almost offended at how done up it was.
Walking around, got lost, kept getting lost, OOH! A Mazapan shop?! I bought one of each (yes, I was glutonous). Delicious! I discovered the Museo del Santa Cruz, partially open, but mostly closed for remodeling. Okay....So I chilled in Plaza de Zocodover and read for a few hours. Then I see a train putting along. I must!
I take the train tour around Toledo, wish I'm glad I did. The train showed us the most beautiful views of Toledo, the city at large. I think I almost like Toledo more than Madrid. And, I learned that Spain has Arab descendants! And it all made sense.
Get back to Cassie's around 10pm, and we watch Beauty&theGeek.

Wednesday, another gym outing. Then I meet up Cassie & her flatmates at a tapas bar for some tapas (basically, you order a bunch of appetizers and eat). Very delicious. Maybe I should eat like that more often! Ha. ha. ha.
Off to the Botanical Gardens, and I just mosied around for a few hours, read a bit, appreciated the beauty in nature. I really can't believe I don't do things like that more often.
Then off to the airport I went!
You see, Deejay? I did make Madrid a bit shorter.

1 comment:

David Julian said...

Yes shorter. I'm glad you didn't leave any links out. Santa Claus and pancakes? Gorgeous, honey.