Monday, April 03, 2006

Some Culture

Aside from Friday's extravaganzas (which I would prefer to keep in the depths of my mind....and email box. If you really want to know, email me. 1 name: Lawrence.) , I had an overall very low-key weekend.


Today I went to go see the London Symphony Orchestra perform some Bartok and Shubert. The concert hall itself, at Barbican Centre, is located in not one of the best locations ever, but it may have been because of the route I took to get there.
The hall is beautiful, and simple. It was like stadium seating, only convenient, because the stage was very easy to see, and you didn't have to crawl over people's legs to get to your seat. Very brightly lit, and a light wood design on the walls. I was impressed.
The concert was excellent. The Bartok piano concerto (#3) was performed by some Piotr Anderszewski. He was wonderful. Very light on the piano (I think it was a Borsendorfer!!!), and the orchestra held their parts with him well. Personally, I wasn't nuts about the song itself, but the performance was great.
The Shubert
songs, overture Die Zauberharfe and Symphony No 9, were also very well done. Very upbeat. Very clean. Again, not my favorite songs ever, but I was kept awake, which is always a good sign.
Overall, I was content and felt rejuvenated afterwards. Especially for a free ticket with a free glass of orange juice!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
Glad to see you soaking up some culture! Its good for a hangover I suppose! Just kidding!

Can't wait to see you this week! Get your winter clothes ready to pack off!
Love ya'
Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh kim.....whore.