Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Cognitive Dissonance


Yesterday I just wanted to sleep the entire day.
This business class I have at bloody 8am kills the core of my very being. Not only is it abnormally early (oh come on, most work days don't start until 9am!), but the teacher! I cannot understand how he got where he is now. Not only does he lack the ability to hold an interesting lecture, or one of any substance, but he is constantly explaining to us that he doesn't know what we know and that maybe it's his fault we aren't participating. Well, then, maybe you should remedy that issue, huh? Pragmatizing might be a start for you.
Joris (who sits a few rows behind me on my left) emailed me during class telling me that I was too focussed on my laptop during class, and that I was not looking credible. Unfortunately, I actually was FOR ONCE trying to pay SOME attention to the class. Maybe I should stop paying attention...
And I gave him my midterm paper proposal, about EU and unification through language, and he just gave me this noncommital nod. Everyone else received some good (in his sense of the word, at least) feedback. I feel jipped.
So, enough complaining...

After class, some of us took out Auriane from Chantilly to a Japanese restaurant (which had bubble tea!) called Zen Zoo for lunch. It's funny; Auriane was the only non-foreigner in the group, yet we mostly felt like she was the foreigner who was being immersed into the culture. It seems to be the case when we have some of the French kids from school around with us: Joris, Auriane, Jerome....yeah, maybe this isn't such a great thing. I mean, these kids are awesome, but I feel bad that they're becoming the odd men out.
Anyways, Auriane officially dislikes Japanese food. It wasn't sushi, either. She doesn't like tofu, she doesn't like tapioca, she doesn't like satayed vegetables. Picky picky picky...She even said at the table (in French) that it was completely revolting. A bit harsh, I thought it was actually quite good.

Afterwards, Paz and I went for a long walk across the city. We ended up walking from school over by Saint Lazare, got in trouble with some cops by L'Elysées, and then all the way back to Notre Dame. It was SUCH a beautiful day out! The only problems were our bags full of school stuff and laptops. We talked a lot. That kid really is becoming my therapist, honestly...
We walked across the city to get our favorite paninis from this Italian vendor. Soooo good....
I was supposed to go to chorus practice, but I concluded I didn't feel up to it. I feel like I'm on the verge of a cold, and I had to wait for Brandon to move his luggage into my apartment (he's in the middle of moving from one apartment to another...). So, feeling completely the entire night, I agreed to go with the boys to Le Marais for dinner.
I ate a strawberry tart that was to die for.
And we walked back to school in the night. Sparkling Eiffel, well-lit Notre Dame, nice night on the Seine....IT WAS SO ROMANTIC! We all sadly commented about how romantic it was. If only we had others with us to remedy this gap of romance in such a romantic place. Oh well, we talked about accents to occupy ourselves.
I got home and was sent a paper from one of Pierre's Hungarian buddies to edit. In English. It was extremely frustrating to edit, considering I didn't understand most of what she was trying to say. I ripped that paper to shreds. I feel kinda bad about it now, but really.....it's just not pleasant to read English that makes no sense. And if I, Kimberly W, is saying that, then it must be true!

No comments: