Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A Pick-Me-Up



Busier than life. In class right now, relearning all that Stern has taught me in the last 3 years. Felt it appropriate to update the blog.
So, that night I wrote last, I decided on COMPLETE impulse to make a day-trip the next day to Brussels with old roommate, Emily. She decided to come over that night, too, so she could meet some French guys. Pierre and Nicolas (his friend visiting from Toulouse) came over midnight-ish and made a leak quiche FROM SCRATCH! Only Frenchmen, right? They literally kicked me out of my kitchen (Pierre says that I'm not allowed in the kitchen when he's in my place...) and cooked. Dinner by 1am. Emily left early. The boys stayed and talked with me until around 5am. It was a fun conversation, over some EXCELLENT quiche.

I had 3 hours of sleep. Kim was a riot on Friday (as you should know if you've seen me after studying all night).

The next day I went to Brussels for the day. That will come in the next entry. It was great.
Pierre and Nicolas picked me up at the train station late that night. Think 10pm? And what is best, but Pierre got me some chocolate...even though I had just returned from a day of chocolatey voracity. It was pdg (pretty damn good), too.
We went to the Tokyo Palace just before it closed. It's this temporary art gallery, full of avante garde stuff. There was a (rotting) art exhibit that was purely based on food. Kind of nasty. There was a few other interesting exhibits (one including playing music for plants).
But my favorite was about the micronations. These REAL utopian countries (not recognized by the UN) the size of walnuts that have their own passports, visas, currency....everything!!! I want to join some...I have joined one!
Afterwards, we walked around, saw the Eiffel sparkle, scale the Champs Elysées, and found this remarkably trippy house that had no real windows, but painted messed up ones. See picture.

Crashed hard. Woke up early remembering that I had a chorus practice in the early afternoon, for 3 hours. THAT was fun. Singing tenor next to primadonna, who's 25 years old and tells me (in French, no less) about how young I am. I was mistakenly told that I had a concert this Tuesday (which is not so), so I freaked out for a good portion of the practice. And there was a wretched string quartet that came to practice with us. Ears bled. In break, Liisa (Finland) and I concluded that something had to happen that night.
Ran into Rahul and Peter on the street, where we concluded that my dinner parties should become a weekly Saturday night ritual. So we ran a few errands together, and then agreed to meet up chez moi later on.
I made a veggie lasagna from scratch, and improvised. And it was DAMN good, if I do say so myself. I am an excellent cook. And modest.
People came and went, and we talked (as usual). Lauren came in from Dublin late that night, and she joined in the festivities until late.

Sunday morning I woke up late to remember that I was to be at Charles De Gaulle to pick up James and Neil. Got there 4 hours late. I'm a terrible friend. And a horrid navigator.
Got them finally, and went back to the city, where we got some lunch at a nearby café. Lauren was off on her own.
Followed by a pleasant walk around the 7th arrondissement. Planted it on the park in front of the Eiffel. Wrestled and practiced jiu jitsu (be surprised) for a while, while I was planning with Pierre dinner that night. We went to this cute little place by school called Jardin de St.Germain. Typical nice French restaurant. Rabbit, duck, beef bourgogne, crème brulée... Luckily Pierre was there to order the majority of the food (thank goodness for French guys). The boys were crashing fast (damn jet lag), and Lauren was a complete giggle fest.

Yesterday (finally), I had class all day. Went for a morning jog around Hotel des Invalides (very stunning in the morning, you know). Classes were boring. Fell asleep during the majority of them.
Paz and Brandon joined the boys and me to dinner in the Latin Quarter at our typical gyro place. Concluded that I should make brownies for Pi Day, 3/14 (though that's NOT pie). Got a crêpe. Had a class. Boring day. I got home to find James and Neil cleaning my apartment (what's up with guys wanting to clean up my place?). Had a long chat on Skype. And went to bed late.

Now I'm in class where the guy is talking about what Equity and Debt is.......oh, you've got to be kidding...

No comments: