Monday, February 27, 2006

Glastonbury

So on our way to Cornwall (SouthWest England), we ended up at Glastonbury.
This is where a lot of the Arthurian legends pan out. When you enter this town, it's very very spiritual/relgious fusion....very pagan & into the more wiccan & celtic things.
I went to the Abbey Ruins. The Abbey is where apparently Jason & Jesus built the first worship area for Mary, and where King Arhthur & Guinivere is buried.
This place is gorgeous. I went to the ruins, and got teary-eyed. I've never seen beauty like that. The church that was built around the 12th or 13th century was ruined by Henry something something...that is what you go to see, and it is very majestic. But, it's not the first church built there....the first one was built somewhere in the 1st century, and they kept on getting burned down and rebuilt. Still, gorgeous.

I was alone in Glastonbury, since everyone else on the trip I didn't know, but I didn't mind. I don't think anynone else there was appreciating what we were seeing as much as I was. I got to take my time, be in awe. It was wonderful.

Ate a panini. Set off for the Tor.

The Tor was the Isle of Avalon...alright, basically, Avalon was a magical isle where Morgan LeFay lived, and helped Arthur. But then the water receded and it just became a huge mountain top. It's apparently where there is a portal to the "other side".
PS: The Tor is on a vertical drop. Hiking up the hill/mountain took roughly 25 minutes for me, alone, and a gym rat. Mini cardio workout. But man, was it gorgeous. Someone built a church on the hill, but again, it's in ruins, so only a ruined tower exists there now. But it was amazing. And the view was splendid, too.
However, the wind howled like nothing else. If that was a portal, someone on the other side (or the wind...I'm not sure which one) must be PISSED! I almost got thrown off of the hill!

No comments: