Monday, February 27, 2006

Cornwall

So, I just got back from a trip to Cornwall with a crew of 60+ NYU kids. I didn't really know anyone. So, alone I was.
Got to the hostel in a little Rockport-like seatown called St.Ives, and these kids are pampered, rich brats!!! They were all scoffing and complaining about the hostel: "oh, i can't shower here!" "i wanna go get a hotel room" "i bet you this is the dirtiest place in the town". Ok, honestly? It wasn't that bad of a hostel! I've lived in much worse! I felt like I was in a spa, they felt they were roughing it. Do kids my age not know what it's like to go hiking anymore?
That night I went out to get dinner by myself at a pub, some NYU kids came. It was awkward, but then a few nice premeds came over and befriended me. We went out to a pub, played some darts, and called it early.
Woke up at 7am for a full English breakfast: baked beans, sausage, mushrooms, bacon...I could tell that this trip was not goin to be the most healthy eating I've ever had in my life.
About half of us kids went on a tour of Cornwall. We drove St.Michael's Mount (much like Mont St.Michel, only a little newer....), Penzance, & Minack & The Minack Theatre (which is a beautiful outside theatre built into the cliffs of the seaside).
The seaside we saw the entire tour was amazing. It was dramatic drops, the water was crystal blue, and it wasn't that cold out. Just windy. The Minack Theatre looked like something just out of a Greek tourguide book. Stunning.
At the Minack Theatre, I ordered a normal Cornish meal called Cornish pasty, which is basically a steak&onion broth in a flaky DENSE croissant pastry. Delicious, and hearty.
We drove to see a Stoneghenge-like ancient formation called the Merry Maidens & Two Pipers. Very entertaining to see NYU kids gallop around fields with big rocks. We ended up at Land's End, which is the most western & closest part of the UK to America. Very touristy, but pleasant nonetheless. The rest of the ride home, our tourguide talked about the history of Cornwall, and we all slept.
I met up with 2 girls I remembered from Eugene's apartment, Natasha & Danielle, and we hit up St.Ives. Really, honestly, just like a New England seaport. We got the Cornish Ice Cream (which is super good, and fattening) and Cornish Cream Tea (just tea w/ scones...but you put Cornish Clotted Cream on the scones, which might as well be called LARD). We ate like true Corns that day, but we probably also gained about 10 lbs, too.
We walked to the beachfront, it was a nice walk & a great view.
Then we went to a local theatre to see "Munich". It's an OK movie, I thought some of it was well done, and other parts I felt Spielberg really banking on his directing genius a little too much. I was really disturbed by the movie, though, because it was about Israeli & Palestinian fighting mostly, so I got a calling card & talked to Ido for about an hour. That was nice.
Woke up at 7am again for yet another English breakfast. It was starting to wear on me....
We went to the Eden Project today. Basically, it's the largest Biodomes in the world. Pretty awesome stuff here. They have plants & trees from around the tropics & warm temperate parts of the world, jam-packed into this revolutionary bubble. It was soooo pretty. And I got to look at Cocoa beans. That made me happy.
I learned a lot about nature today.
The bus ride to and fro Cornwall was roughly 6 hours each way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

but hostels really do suck. they're dirty and cramped. lucky you had such a great time.

Anonymous said...

their birthday, or something equally obnoxious (gag reflex).

That being said, hiking? Gah! mosquitos, dirt, and no running water. Merci, non.

Rant aside, I'm glad you enjoyed cornwall, although I can't BELIEVE you didn't know what a Cornish Pastie was hahaha

That also reminds me...I'm emailing you an itinerary for whenever you get around to going to oxford lol


xxx

Andy

Anonymous said...

ooops, the first half of my post went away for some reason.

What it should have said was:

Most of your NYU 'buddies' probably bring Louis Vuitton Messenger bags to school, and live on Long Island with their lawyer and doctor parents, and probably got a 3 serieds BMW for their 16th birthdays or something equally obnoxious :P