Saturday, May 05, 2007

Foire de Paris


Got my hair cut yesterday. After MUCH anxiety, I stumbled across a frugle and decent review of this French chain, called Tchip. Name sounded sketch, and it looked like something out of an 80's teen movie, but I stepped through the doors anyways. At first, I was scared because I see just two workers with 5 women in a salon enough for at least 10 employees. And they clearly didn't know what they were doing with the old women's hair colorings. I started glowing with sweat.
Thank goodness a woman comes out of the back room confidently and puts me in her own hands. Granted, she didn't speak an ounce of English. And I don't know any terms like "layers" and "angled", but we managed to understand each other. After she hacked more than I wanted off (we were deep in conversation about American working hours compared to France's), I am satisfied with my cut. Short, yes, but it is the right idea of coiffure. And everything (including tip, shampoo, cut, conditioner) was only 24 Euros!
That's essentially all I did worth talking about yesterday. Chorus was uneventful, and a bit lonely, so I won't get into that.

Marketing class today was dull as usual. My group had a presentation to do, but Joris had SMSed me to say that he fainted in the shower and wasn't coming to class. Luckily I researched and created the entire bloody project anyways, so I just picked up the slack. I think we did the project well, but I guess it doesn't matter as long as we get a good grade.
Then, yes, the Foire de Paris. Essentially, Paris made roughly 10 massive warehouses (an expo area, I presume) into these specified expositions. From house siding to wine tasting, from medieval dance to make-overs. In a nutshell, it was awesome. Every food/drink table had free samples. I got in for 9,50 Euros on a discount, and it was worth every penny.
I first made way to the "Tropical France" area (think Martinique, some African places, South American, Caribbean places that are/were part of French territories). This was my favorite part already. It was booming with culture music, bright colors everywhere. People bustling to and fro. Colorful accents. The smell of marvelous things. And I was one of the only white people in that warehouse! I bought some coconut sorbet, and let me tell you: ORGASMIC! That stuff was utterly ambrosial. And there was some amazing PURE cocoa drinks. I got hit on by a few of the venders, who ended up getting only my email, and in the process managed to give me a free plate of soulfood that normally costs 5 euros. I wish I could go back and eat more food there...
Mind you, my accent is thick, and my French shotty, so EVERYONE I encountered asked me where I was from in America. Not so nice.
Then I made way to the "Europe" area. Not nearly as fun, but still a good time. There were so many artists swinging around, I managed to stay mostly by the free samples. Cheese, saucissons, chocolates, sweets, biscuits, and wine. Now, my main intention the entire time I was being shoved foods left and right was to find this Corsican wine that Liisa raved to me about when she had gone to the fair. I got to the Champagne first (which was excellent, and I think I made friends with the man who was making me taste his Champagne), and literally skimmed by all of the wine booths before finding Corsica (the only booth). The guy didn't appreciate my lacking French, and though I fell absolutely in love with his bottle of white wine (it was the best wine I've ever tasted in my life), he refused to sell it to me on the spot. He kept saying "Think about it. It's really expensive, you're a student. Don't buy it right now." I can't believe I got turned down on buying something!!!!! And WHEN THE HELL am I going to ever go to Corsica so I can find this wine ever again? I don't even think the link for this Corsican wine is the right place!
Afterwards, I watched a subpar dance group, meandered through the other warehouses (which is wearing, no pun intended). And I came home to run and sit here.

No comments: