Monday, May 07, 2007

Sarkozy?! Really?!


Yesterday I stumbled upon a Brocante (flea market-type fair) on a street by my flat. It was great! All antiques! The best part was when I stumbled upon a stack of (organized) antique post cards from around the world! Used postcards (written and posted) with pictures of Paris and London from 1850s-1900s. In a moment of pure genius, I found about 14 postcards to buy (22 euros ain't bad...) so I can make a framed memorial to my loved European cities. What gems!
Joris and I meet up and went out for a Greek dinner. We talked in French (as usual with my select few French friends), and I thanked him for his incredible patience.
We met up later on with Liisa (plus her Italian friends, her African coloc and his African buddies) and went out to dance at a salsa club, Latina Café. We had so much fun ALL NIGHT! I forgot how fun that kind of music and dancing was! Joris was a complete blast and danced with us like there was no tomorrow. He'll be in Barcelona next year, so I told him we were just trying to prepare him.
Liisa and I ended up missing the last metro, so I walked her home (in heels) and took a cab home.

Today was beautiful! I meandered to school to watch some Free Jazz at this week's festival. I forgot how much I missed music. After a while, though, it turned into smooth jazz, so I scooted out. And I walked.
Since it was the first Sunday of the month, all museums in France are free admission. So, I went to Musée Rodin for a while, walked around the grounds. Grabbed a nice salad dish in the garden there, and was surrounded completely by birds. Nearby French people laughed as I battled birds for property rights.
Afterwards, I walked through the Esplanade over to the Grand + Petit Palais for more museum joy. Something I love about Sundays in the spring/summer in Paris: everyone gets out and goes to the grassy areas. Soccer here, spooning couple there. It's wonderful. I think I could stay here longer.....
Much to my dismay, I got to the museums too late, and they closed as soon as I walked in. No matters, I got what I paid for.
And a nice, long walk home. Discovered some delightful areas I have never ventured to before, which I hopefully will investigate further.
Attempted to make fried tomatoes, and failed miserably. Even lit my frying pan on fire.
And then the French elections happened.....................WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?! Ségolène Royale was such a good candidate; Sarkozy is soo not the right person to run this country! And the votes in all of France were completely divided: Sarkozy won with 53%, while 47% of France was completely left in the dust. What kind of system was that?!!?!?! I'm very, very disappointed in society right now. And a bit upset with the French. My hopes of being a French citizen are forever (or at least 5 years minimum) shot. Unless I marry one.

No comments: