Friday, June 22, 2007

Fête de la Musique


Nightmare.
It was a complete nightmare.
Well, our chorus had a concert to perform at the city hall near school. We didn't sing very well, but that's not surprising. The orchestra was out of tune and not in sync, but that isn't surprising either. One of Auriane's friends was singing with the orchestra a bunch of arias, and she was simply breathtaking! She was really a great soprano. The audience adored her, and so did we. Really a gem of a voice.
I said goodbye to my fellow choral members.
But the wasn't the nightmare.
So my sunburn blisters are ever increasingly worse. Have yet to go to the doctor. I'm trying to find Brandon because it's his last night in the city, so I want to say bye to him. But Fête de la Musique had officially invaded the entire city. I was walking through St. Michel trying to get some food of an edible sort (to no avail) before I met Brandon supposedly at Café Oz, and I was squished in a mob of people! And loud rock music was mixing from every corner! All of the restos were full, and the take out places crammed. I was being painfully pushed back and forth (via shoulders, of course) until I finally got to Châtelet to find out I had to go back towards my house to find Brandon.
École Militaire, here I came. So I finally got there through the MESS on the métro, and am in a LOT of pain (enough to be compelled to cry), and get to the apartment of one of Brandon's drinking buddies. One of the guys from the BBQ, which made it all the more interesting. I love Brandon, but his drinking buddies are not my favorite people in the world. Not my type of a good time nor conversation. Rimi and I left after an hour and the rest of them went towards school. I walked Rimi home and we stayed until 3am talking about everything.
I was going outside to catch a short taxiride (with Rimi beside me) when this guy comes up and tells me that there's no chance in my getting a cab during that night. He starts talking in English to us. Very nice guy. He offered to walk me most of the way. Normally, I'd say no, but for some reason I felt in my gut to take his offer. We walked towards home, and talked. He is this really interesting guy, comes from Russia, studied a bit at UChicago, and graduated from Sciences Po a year or two ago. He was researching organ trafficking, and we talked about my interest in human traffick. He gave me a lot of pointers. And we talked about travelling, where he insisted I go to Venice before I leave (where I insisted I couldn't if I tried). Nice guy, gave me his card when we parted. I'm really glad we met up, I could maybe find out a lot more from him.
Yeah, I gotta go to the doctor now, this blister thing is getting to be too much.

No comments: