Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Karma Better Be True

Today I have yet again been cooped up in the flat studying for my final that's going to be in about 13 hours. I'm a master of procrastination.
I've discovered I cook and bake a lot when I'm stressed.
At least I haven't started cleaning the apartment, yet. That'll be tomorrow.

Oh, my shoulders are healing. They're peeling and they're mad disgusting looking, but at least I can move them around normally mostly. Things are looking up.

I went to Shopi for some things to make lunch and dinner for myself today. Grabbed my things and scooted out. I am not even a block away from my apartment when this really really really old lady (think at least 80s?) asks me if I have time to help her. I guess I did. She wanted me to assist her to the grocery store. Alright, I'll be a good person, I thought. I can spare 15 minutes walking this woman 2 minutes away.
Mom, I've found someone who is a lot slower than you. Think one foot in front of the other, long pause, repeat. It was really hard, and I spaced out a lot.
So I get the lady to the grocery store and she asks if I have more time to help her in the store. I didn't think I would be able to with my already-purchased-bag on me, but somehow she managed to get the guy to let me in. Another 20 minutes. I didn't know that helping her out was going to invest a lot of my studying time. But I felt bad just leaving her, so I just kept helping her.
I don't think she was entirely well in the head. She was kind of babbling about how "those colored women" (roughly translated from French) were taking care of other people's children. And she commented something along the lines of, "Oh, I know America...they speak English there, right? That's far away. I have seen your president on my TV." Oh, alright, then.
So I get her her groceries, and naturally she asks me to walk with them back to her apartment. Which is, in fact, further than my place is from the store.
So, a total of about 1 hour and 10 minutes today consisted of me doing a good deed by helping this old lady I didn't even know to and fro the grocery store and home. It was harder than I anticipated, and at the end I had to pardon myself to leave because my pot was still on the stove.
I got home and my couscous that I just cooked was cold.
I didn't know that people still were called to randomly to help little old ladies around town. I feel like such a chivalrous...man?

Because of my good deed, I baked a little cake for myself. Really good, actually, with added raspberry kicks to it.

Enough procrastination. Back to studying about public goods and IMF.

No comments: